Incarnate Word Academy has been owned and operated by the Congregation of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament since 1873. The Sisters arrived from France and settled in Brownsville in 1853. Sisters from a foundation made in Victoria came to Houston in April of 1873 and months later, they opened the doors to Incarnate Word Academy, the oldest Catholic high school in Houston.
In 1878, a state of Texas charter empowered Incarnate Word Academy to issue diplomas. Today, the Academy is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department. The Academy is also a member of the National Catholic Education Association.
The Congregation appoints and authorizes the president and the principal of the high school to carry out this responsibility. The Incarnate Word Academy's Board of Advisors assists in the continued growth of the high school.
Incarnate Word Academy provides young women with a Catholic college preparatory education, helping them grow in their relationship with Jesus, the Incarnate Word, and live according to His values.
Cornerstones: Academics, Values and Spirituality